Re: [Asrg] Mailing list signup handshakes

2008-11-30 12:33:23

On November 29, 2008 at 11:31 johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com (John Levine) wrote:
...I hope we
can all agree that the Windows Vista approach of asking "Is this OK?"
every two minutes isn't it.

My impression was that it was the only "practical" solution (from the
point of view of their engineering costs and time-frame) they could
think of to the problem of malicious email, web pages, etc running
malware.

If you look back at the archives on this list a couple of years it's
possible the idea even arose right here. I remember a thread that kept
coming back to "ok, then just ASK the user before you let something
like an email run a program".

I'm not kidding, my memory on this is a little sketchy but I remember
either some microsoft engineers sending me email asking if I thought
this could help and/or commenting on the list at the time.

It would be interesting to know if the virus infection rate is any
lower on Vista.

Of course, there're probably several factors, but it would still be
interesting inasmuch that if the answer is "no it's about the same" we
can conclude the idea was a loser, but if it's "yes, lower" then
perhaps this helps even if it's not as convenient as it might be. Its
behavior could be refined.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide