Re: [Asrg] The fundamental misconception about paying for mail POSTAGE

2008-11-29 15:16:04
On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 02:00:40PM -0500, Paul Russell wrote:
Why shouldn't the owners of zombied machines pay for their negligence?

On a philosophical level, I agree with you: it is the responsibility of
every person with anything connected to the 'net (from a /32 to a /8)
to ensure that that it's not an operational hazard to everything and
everyone else.  So -- on that philosophical level -- I'll go one step
further and say that they should be disconnected until they demonstrate
the personal responsibility that I think is a prerequisite for the
privilege of 'net access.

But on a practical level, we passed the point whether either approach
might possibly work about twenty years ago.  There are now so many
reasons why it'll never happen that I'm not even going to try to
enumerate them.  I think the best we can hope for is increased use
of "sandboxing", and even that's not very likely.

---Rsk