Re: [Asrg] The fundamental misconception about paying for mail POSTAGE

2008-11-30 20:38:19
One major difference is that the "free" email system provides no
effective economic infrastructure for enforcement of any sort.

True.  How about some research into estimates about how much would
enforcement cost?  Then figure out what that comes to per non-spam
message (since we can safely assume that spammers won't pay.)

That is, we'll give you 1,000 msgs/day free but only if your rate
never exceeds 100/second for so many seconds (I'll save you the math,
there are 86,400 seconds in a day, so 1,000/day requires 86.4/second.)
Otherwise we either shut you off or raise the rate (your choice,
choose one checkbox please.)

Oh, look, you are counting the mail.  Thanks for clarifying that.  That
reintroduces the double spending problem, too.

Spammers can't live with rate-limiting either tho most mortals can,
particularly if it's numbers like so-many msgs per second.

Well, actually, I've seen plenty of reports of botnets dialing down the
per-bot rate to whatever it takes to avoid triggering ISPs outbound
filters.

R's,
John