Re: [Asrg] Mailing list signup handshakes

2008-11-29 17:56:23
On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 11:31:30AM -0000, John Levine wrote:
If recipient systems had some way to know what bulk mail their users
had asked for, there would be all sorts of benefits.  They could skip
the spam filtering for the requested mail, know when to display an
unsubscribe button vs. a spam button, and probably more that doesn't
immediately occur to me.

I concur that this is an interesting (but as you went on to say, tricky)
problem.  One of my concerns with this approach is that it would require
tracking subscriptions on a per-user basis, which has some serious
privacy implications, especially given the demonstrated inability of
many entities to keep their data locked up securely.

As to the "report as spam" button, I think that should be taken
away entirely, as users have conclusively proven that they can't tell
spam from not-spam, phish from not-phish.  (If they *could*, then
the scope of at least one of these problems would be considerably less.)

---Rsk