Re: [Asrg] rDNS

2009-05-27 15:05:45

On May 27, 2009, at 10:59 AM, der Mouse wrote:

Certainly, if they care about rDNS and whois. (I would hope anyone interested in following best practices would care about each. I've seen things like "nobody cares about rDNS these days" said; in my admittedly limited experience, clue level correlates remarkably well with not sharing such points of view.)

There are different geographic regions and organizations that refuse to publish reverse DNS. Reverse DNS is normally controlled by the holder of the IP address, where the forward DNS is normally controlled by the entity offering a service. When a PTR record in the reverse DNS appears to match with the service offered, the domain using the IP address is known by the IP address holder. However, it does not mean the entity offering the service is controlled by that domain. SSL certs attempt to convey that information in a much safer fashion. In addition, it is often the case where the number of PTR records that can be published represent only a small faction of the domains legitimately using the IP address. In the case of email, reverse DNS entries are often used to divine some deeper, often undefined, meaning based upon the content of a PTR records found at the in-addr.arpa zone. As an anti-abuse effort, some providers in North America do not accept connections without a reverse DNS entry being found. As a result, these providers may be unable to communicate with some organizations or geographic regions. Who is wrong, because in the case of email, reverse DNS is clearly being misused.

-Doug