Re: [Asrg] rDNS

2009-05-29 11:57:29
What's synthetic about (paraphrased) "your rDNS is missing or
broken, so I won't listen to you"?
One of the implied major premises is synthetic.  The complete logic
chain reads:

* I won't listen to clueless hosts (arbitrary, but legitimate premise)
* all hosts with a missing or broken rDNS are clueless (synthetic)
* your rDNS is missing or broken (fact)
* so I won't listen to you (conclusion)

That's a bit stronger than I think is justified; I know it isn't "all".
The two (botched rDNS and clue lack) correlate well enough that I find
the rule useful, but the correlation is nowhere near good enough to
justify "all".  (Their observed face exhibits clue lack, yes.  But from
my vantage point I have no way to tell whether the clue shortage is
with the host, with its provider, or what.  I have run into cases where
a clued admin is stuck behind impaired connectivity for some reason.)

[...] land where all ISPs obey a policy of not setting rDNS, [...]
Local ISP market should not affect the reliability of hosts operating
in that area.

Given how tightly coupled the ISP market is to its customers, I find
that somewhat doubtful.  But until we have an example to look at, this
is speculation.

Possibly, a good deal of ISPs do rfc2317 delegations (if the
customers insist.)

Or just make rDNS changes on customer request, which is what the one I
work at does.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse(_at_)rodents-montreal(_dot_)org