Re: [Asrg] rDNS

2009-05-27 16:11:52
There are different geographic regions and organizations that refuse
to publish reverse DNS.

This is true.  In my experience being one of them correlates
positively, and at least moderately strongly (though of course not
perfectly), with being part of the precipitate.

Certainly there are clued people, and even small-to-medium
organizations, which are for various reasons behind rDNS-free
connectivity.  IME they are apologetic about it rather than exhibiting
the sort of "what do you care about _that_ for, this isn't the '80s,
get with it!" attitude that seems (again, IME) to characterize the
problematic admins.

As an anti-abuse effort, some providers in North America do not
accept connections without a reverse DNS entry being found.

I suspect it's hardly as restricted to North America as you make it
sound.

As a result, these providers may be unable to communicate with some
organizations or geographic regions.

Right.  So?  Someone who doesn't tolerate dashes in domain names won't
be able to communicate with rodents-montreal.org, either.

Who is wrong, because in the case of email, reverse DNS is clearly
being misused.

It's not clear to me that anyone is wrong there, nor that rDNS is being
misused.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse(_at_)rodents-montreal(_dot_)org