Re: [Asrg] Soundness of silence

2009-06-16 11:10:53
der Mouse wrote:
I'm not convinced that any new technical approach to spam control
has any chance of widespread adoption or even careful attention.
The jungle of existing tactics combined with [...]
[That] obviously implies that email is going to die out.

It's not obvious to me.  Can you spell it out for me how you get from
Bill's lack of conviction - okay, let's make it easy and assume Bill is
right: from the lack of widespread adoption or attention to new
technical antispam techniques - to email dying out?

Because it is not reliable. Why would you spend your time and intelligence writing text that will end up in some spam folder without ever being read?

Newcomers don't perceive it as something new and exciting, but rather
as an obsolete communication system used predominantly by elder
people, generally left in a state of regrettable neglect.

Honestly, this is one of the few things that could save email.  If
enough of the net.population deserts it for newer and shinier
communications media, spammers will perceive a lack of value in it and
start leaving it alone, making it usable again for us

That's an interesting assertion. I think spammers love their honeypots, some of which possibly even pay a visit to their spamvertized sites. How will spammers perceive a lack of value? Their instigators are not looking for the most effective channel, they are looking for the cheapest. They might very well be the last ones to leave, who knows. At any rate, I'd very much avoid such experiment: It is the worst anti-spam approach I've ever heard.

(FVO "us"
approximating "people who didn't desert it", which I expect would
include most/all of the people I for one care about exchanging email
with anyway).

You must be at least 47, then. Correct? ;-)

Do I expect that to happen?  Not really.  But neither do I see it dying
out.

Do you perceive migration toward giant ESPs as the premise for newer/shinier media? The global walled-garden is just a step away. Nowadays businesses are too much concerned about costs, but what will happen when they will be wanting to pay a small amount for acceptable reliability? (Microsoft has been looking after that since their first MAPI release...)