Re: [Asrg] Soundness of silence

2009-06-17 10:43:12
der Mouse wrote:
I as a node admin did what I could to prevent our system from being
part of the precipitate, and did have an expectation that others would
do likewise - but I also knew enough about ways we could silently lose
mail that I accepted unreliability as just a fact of email life.

If you're talking about hardware faults, unreliability is just a fact of life, tout court. At least, SMTP specifications allowed to tell whose fault it was. It is different when we talk about specifications that are unreliable by design. SMTP specifications are the same, in a relative way, but the people who use them are not.

In exchange for what are we giving up reliability now?

Usability.

Why would email be less usable if it implied some sort of responsibility on the sender's side?