Re: [Asrg] Soundness of silence

2009-06-17 09:30:39
When I first started using email, it could take a week to get mail
from Montreal to California, with a chance that sometimes approached
even that it would get lost on the way.  This didn't deter lots of
people, including me, from using it anyway.
You were pioneers, and obviously expected that whatever steps were
needed to amend reliability would have been taken.

Not really; we - well, I at least - did not have any expectation that
"they" would necessarily "fix" reliability.

I as a node admin did what I could to prevent our system from being
part of the precipitate, and did have an expectation that others would
do likewise - but I also knew enough about ways we could silently lose
mail that I accepted unreliability as just a fact of email life.  (And
I still do - it's just that the level of unreliability is lower.)

In exchange for what are we giving up reliability now?

Usability.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse(_at_)rodents-montreal(_dot_)org