Re: [Asrg] Soundness of silence

2009-06-16 10:33:10
At 04:28 16-06-2009, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
I tend to understand that as different classes of spam. For an example, consider a creditor of mines who solicits payment by sending me reminders. Assume I'm not going to pay and I just discard them. If, by chance, they end up in the spam folder, would I be willing to train my Bayesian filter to avoid that? Probably no. And, are those reminders spam? In some acceptation of the term, yes. Thus, a fax or a registered letter is better than email...

"different spam problems" does not mean different classes of spam. Look at it in terms of user-base and mail traffic. You also have to understand that the problem is not linear, i.e. the amount of spam is proportional to the user-base.

If you want to consider these reminders as spam, you have the right to do so. It's unlikely that all creditors will resort to sending a registered letter or a fax because of that.

As you were complaining about the soundness of silence, let's see how you would have reacted if nobody answered the message you posted. :-)

I don't see why such techniques are not amenable to standardization. Actually, there is a couple of DNSBL drafts that are slowly moving forward.

Documents from the ASRG (IRTF) and the IETF fall in different streams. Within the IETF, standardization has a different meaning.

Yes, that's the conclusion I also reached. Spam is a universal plague and we must live with it. It is indecent to egoistically take oneself away from it. Therefore, solutions to get rid of spam are not wanted, not even discussed. BTW, discussion implies that

The different solutions are discussed but it's difficult to reach an agreement on them.

Being an I-D _and_ a proposed solution emphasize each other, conflicting with the universal plague requirement above. However, it is also important to reach some form of agreed failure diagnosis. Question 12 in http://asrg.sp.am/about/faq.shtml is just too generic.

Maybe there's a cultural problem. The answer to question 12 provides sound advice on what you could do before submitting a proposal.

Regards,
-sm