Re: [Asrg] Soundness of silence

2009-06-16 10:45:55
Not quite.  There are walled-garden approaches to email that are
basically spam-free, because they have the accountability the open
Internet lacks.
Agreed.  What efforts are being made to introduce that accountability
to email?

Few-to-none, as far as I can tell, outside of the walled gardens.

Part of the problem is that for any-to-any email, the cooperation of
the sending site is required to push responsibility back onto the
sending user, too many sending sites refuse to, and the failure to
impose responsibility along with authority granted goes clear to the
top of Internet governance.  This is in large part why I'm getting out
of active abuse fighting: as long as the mismatch between authority and
responsibility is so close to total at the upper levels of Internet
governance, I believe anti-abuse efforts at the lower levels are almost
entirely just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic - at best
they're delaying the inevitable.  I can't really put my heart into an
endeavour that I believe is futile and doomed and not something I enjoy
doing for its own sake.  Even if I'm wrong about its being futile and
doomed, that's still how it feels to me.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse(_at_)rodents-montreal(_dot_)org