Re: [Asrg] What are the IPs that sends mail for a domain?

2009-06-29 12:36:12
Douglas Otis wrote, On 6/16/09 8:24 PM:

On Jun 16, 2009, at 3:55 PM, John Levine wrote:

[...]

We've had a variety of proposals to identify mail client hosts. See
http://mipassoc.org/csv/

The CSV effort proved most providers do not want their MTAs identified
as belonging to them, even when it could improve email acceptance.

Not really. As far as I can tell, provider attention was not controlled for in that experiment.

In my experience the awareness of existing Internet standards, the Internet standards process, and the "open unstructured testing in production" model that dominates the development of new protocol features among people running mail systems and companies selling mail services is very low. I would be shocked if most providers of mail services even today are aware of the CSV proposals' existence at any level, either corporately or among their technical staff.

This
might be especially true now after their support staff has been reduced.

Obviously that plays strongly into the awareness issue.