Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

2009-12-22 06:40:35

--On 21 December 2009 06:23:44 -0800 Dave CROCKER
<dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net> wrote:

On 12/21/2009 4:44 AM, Ian Eiloart wrote:
What we already do know is that many people use "report as spam" when
they mean "block". Why? Because they have no alternative.

One more time:  You cannot be certain of the user interface choices that
will work well without experimentation.  Good theoretical backing merely
helps to suggest good UI design ideas, but it does not guarantee that
they are correct.

Worse, you are trying to assert user needs based on a simple information
model, rather than a cognitive model, which is quite different.

d/

I've contacted the HCI people at my institution to find out whether they'd be interested in doing some research on this topic. I suspect the answers might be different for different mail clients, depending on the existing interface clutter, and the GUI tools with which they're built.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex