Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

2009-12-22 06:45:33

--On 21 December 2009 09:07:29 -0500 der Mouse <mouse(_at_)Rodents-Montreal(_dot_)ORG> wrote:

What we already do know is that many people use "report as spam" when
they mean "block".  Why?  Because they have no alternative.

Not entirely because of that.  At least some of them do not draw a
distinction between spam and other unwanted email.

I agree. But nobody with a single button is capable of making that distinction when reporting. I find it a hard distinction to make on Twitter, but I still try. It's an important point to consider when responding to the reports.

Of course, these are probably the same people who use "hack" as a
transitive verb in the passive voice.  But a substantial fraction of
the MUA market is made up of them, so any plan that includes
substantial market penetration has to take them into account.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse(_at_)rodents-montreal(_dot_)org

Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex
01273-873148 x3148