Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

2009-12-22 12:45:50
Ian Eiloart wrote:
That must depend a lot on the interface that they have. With the mail client I have currently, there's no way to know how to report spam. If the client had a "report as spam" button, then I'll bet the reporting rate would go up.

I get a much lower than 1% reporting rate, except when it comes to spear phishing, where the rate is a bit better than 1%, even though people have to find out how to do the reporting.

Also, about 90% of the reports I get include minimal headers, so they're not very useful.
Yet just about everybody has a junk button. Typically it feeds into some baysian stuff right now. There's no reason that in the back end of the mua it couldn't send reports somehow, like, say, an extension to imap or something like that. And then do what Nathaniel was saying: treat the junk button as a "I don't want" button and figure out what that really means for the filters.

And it's not like this sort of thing is anything new anyway: lots of vendors have "report as spam" widgets that get bolted onto the side of your favorite MUA. A little standardization would be nice though as it would decouple that UI hassle from the actual job of filtering.

Mike