Re: [Asrg] Consensus Call - submission via posting (was Re: Iteration #3)

2010-02-07 00:29:57
Dave CROCKER wrote:
On 2/6/2010 9:55 AM, Chris Lewis wrote:
Alessandro Vesely wrote:
If we reset the discussion why do we maintain that reports have to be sent by SMTP/MSA? IMAP is better (see below).

You just did it again. This _forces_ technology dependence,

My reading was that the group appeared to converge on using regular posting for submitting a report.

+1. However, that necessarily depends on the nature of the reports that have to be sent:

   [1]  Is the same as for submitting regular new mail, that is, normal
        posting.  (Determination of the address to send to is a separate
        issue.)

The former suits well "generalized FBLs", and ARF.

   [2]  Is specific to the mechanism for retrieving the message for which a
        report is being submitted.  (The details of such mechanisms is a
        separate issue.)

The latter is better for maintaining Bayesian data on the servers, an apparently related topic.