Re: [Asrg] draft-levine-iprangepub-01

2011-01-05 13:05:18
On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:03 PM, John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

This means that a list query library would start with the full query and
work its way up until it gets a result, and the NXDOMAIN at the
appropriate
part of the glue determination process will prevent the too-long queries
from reaching the server, as they will be handled by the cache server.

You might want to try this with a few caches.  I'd be surprised if
they synthesized answers for subdomains of NXDOMAIN entries.  I just
tried it with dnscache from djbdns, and it doesn't.

okay, so the list query library has to start from the top and drill down.
Anyway, the interesting generalization is that once you start supporting
ranges, there's no reason to have a particular length or granularity of
"items in the list"; the other side of this is imagining other problem
domains where a-Btree-in-DNS would be useful.

I wasn't able to find a paragraph about ranges with holes in them, or the
representation of the data beyond this point is in/not in the list, in
iprangepub-01.

by "ranges with holes" I mean, the range is all listed except for the
sublist.

also the concept of increasing resolution with finer-grained querying,
useful for reputation-by-address kinds of databases, seemed absent.