Re: [Asrg] NXDOMAIN cache behavior, was draft-levine-iprangepub-01

2011-01-05 19:07:23
Even if we were to do something as simplistic as chop IPv6 queries at
the /64, given that the number of spammers and bots doesn't magically go
up simply because there's more bits to hide in, the caching problem
appears to not that much worse than it already is with IPv4.

Everyone tells me that in IPv6 we're going to be using a lot of
whitelists.  I don't think it's a good idea to whitelist /64s, and
people are checking individual IPs and spammers change addresses which
IPv6 makes easy, you'll have load problems.

I agree that blacklists can probably do OK just by truncating to /64s,
but my thinking is that if everyone is going to change their filtering
software to handle IPv6, they'll do it by using some lookup library or
other, so this is the time to develop libraries that will work for all
the tasks they're likely to be used for.

R's,
John