Re: [Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-07 [re-send]

2011-03-01 14:08:36
Matt Sergeant wrote:
Esa Laitinen wrote:
There is potential for conflict of interest here, though: what if the
consumer of the data (i.e. paying customer) is also involved in
spamming?

If they want to pay me to run a blocklist which lists them... go right
ahead :)

ISPs or SaaS-solutions (if they offer both inbound and outbound filtering) may
well be users (customers) of a blacklist for their inbound filtering and at the
same time occasionally find their outbound IP addresses listed on the same
blacklist.

There is some potential conflict of interest there, albeit not one that worries
me a great deal. I believe that the more honest blacklists, the ones that list
their customers' IP addresses/domains if they think there is a need for that,
will be the better ones and, ultimately, the ones that survive.

I actually find the various possible conflicts of interest not the most
important problem with (speedy) delisting fees. I think it is simply wrong for
an entity to hand out fines for bad behaviour if they have not been given
permission to do so, either by the entity that is being fined (which may have
explicitly or implicitly agreed to T&Cs that include the possibility of fines)
or by some kind of higher authority (of which there isn't really one on the
internet). Even more so if there isn't a way for those being fined to contest
that decision with an impartial arbiter.

This is all regardless of whether such fines have an effect on the amount of
spam being sent, whether they educate their users, whether they are given to
those who deserve it and whether those receiving the fines actually benefit
from them.

Oh, and for whoever is counting: +1 on the draft from me.

Martijn.

Virus Bulletin Ltd, The Pentagon, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, England.
Company Reg No: 2388295. VAT Reg No: GB 532 5598 33.