Re: [Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-07 [re-send]

2011-03-01 14:29:41
Andrew Kirch wrote:
On 3/1/2011 2:39 PM, Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz wrote:

This means, the DNSxL list provider shall tell what's the intended
good usage of the list.

Hmmmm.... don't use my arguments this way... ;-)

I think that it is clear given the length of this discussion that there
is not a clear consensus among DNSBL operators, and that the text should
be removed from the draft.  Furthermore, I quite honestly don't care if
DNSBL operators extort spammers.  (I am not currently operating a DNSBL,
and am now considering the extort spammers and those who host them
business model).  As long as this is clearly disclosed in the listing
policies, there is no ethical problem.  Spam is theft, and we must
remember that this is the problem.  ISP's typically now have a clean up
charge in their TOS/AUP (the viability of collecting this I will leave
to discuss another day), there is no ethical reason why a DNSBL should
not have the same policy.  Charging end users to avoid spam is
profiteering off of crime.  Better to charge the criminal scum, and
those who host them.

Well, there are two possibilities :

* charge users to help them to be protected against spam. IMHO, this is the
only purpose of DNSBLs.

* charge "criminal scum, and those who host them".

Well, for the second possibility, there are two ways of see this :

* as long as I know, nobody is accredited to act as some sort of "Internet Police". The only possibility to apply fines or condamnations are by means of some legal actions imposed by some official administration.

* the other possibility, getting money from spammers to delist them and let them continue spamming... I'm not a lawyer but I assimilate this as some sort of "money laundry".

Two more cents...

I was a little shocked when looking at uceprotect.org site, by the phrases : "we will stop all spammers in this planet" and "WARNING: Do not play around here. You have no idea who we really are, and what will happen to you!"...