Re: [Asrg] DNSBL and IPv6

2012-10-20 16:41:20
The only relevant difference between v4 and v6 DNS based blacklisting is
that the ability to easily hop around *within* your /64 makes it
possible (easy) to blow the cache of a traditional caching DNS resolver
if you do naive "look up a record based on the IPv6 address".

That's always been our assumption, but there is at this point precious
little evidence that MTAs that query DNSBL through caches (as opposed
to those who have a local rsync mirror) have a cache hit rate much
greater than zero.  If in fact they don't, the same design, perhaps
with a little TTL tuning to give clients a hint about which ones are
worth caching, could work no worse than they do now for similar mail
volumes.

That's why I want to do the cache simulations, to figure out what's
going on now.  It shouldn't be terribly hard, and we have people
offering data.  Want to help?

R's,
John