Re: [Asrg] whitelisting links (was Re: misconception in SPF)

2012-12-10 15:36:24

On 12/10/2012 12:41 PM, Steve Atkins wrote:

On Dec 10, 2012, at 12:24 PM, Paul Smith <paul(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
wrote:
Remember, the idea wasn't to have a 'global' list of 'good
domains', but ones which the *user* has whitelisted, so the user
recognises them.

If it's user managed - rather than managed by a third party that
actually keeps track of who is a bank and who isn't - I'd guess it'd
 just lead to meta-phishing, where the goal is to get the user to add
 a link to their whitelist, rather than having them click on a link.

Fair point.  that's probably why an independent list, such as
Bitdefender seems to use, is probably the right approach.  I could
imagine, however, some possible benefit in keeping track of which
entries in the list a particular user tends to go to.  Such as one or a
few banks versus others.