[clear] Multiple SRV RRs

2005-06-22 06:51:35
At 03:31 PM 6/22/2005 +0000, John Levine wrote:

Here is a quick survey of how some of the larger email domains set up their
MX records.  Assuming they would want to set up their *mailout* records in
a similar fashion, ...

That's a poor assumption.  As I think we've mentioned several times
recently, CSV records are designed to identify client hosts, not
domains, and a normal setup would be to have a CSV record per mail
client.

There seems to be a delay in posting to the list.  Our messages are getting
out of sync.

I think the earlier discussion you refer to was on putting all the IP
addresses for an entire domain in one record.  The current suggestion is
putting just a few addresses under one record.  That could get most of the
benefit (better caching) without getting too far from what I assume is your
goal, keeping control of the authentication records "local" to the sending
domain.

I realize that all of hotmail's servers lie and say "HELO hotmail.com"
but I don't think it's a good idea to design around one bogus point,
even if it's a large one.

If a significant number of domains do this, can you get them to change, or
will they just ignore CSV and use SenderID?  I wouldn't compromise an
important principle, but it may be that a sensible compromise wouldn't hurt
the principle, and could gain a lot more acceptance.

--
Dave