[clear] Consensus on Multiple SRV RRs

2005-06-28 10:51:20
On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 15:11 -0400, John Leslie wrote:
John Levine <clear(_at_)johnlevine(_dot_)com> wrote:

I still haven't seen any plausible scenarios where a host's CSV data
couldn't be represented by a single SRV per HELO name pointing to a
name with a modest set of A records.

   Having waited a reasonable period, it seems unlikely we're going to
get a consensus for more than one SRV record. Thus let's try:

The CSA spec shall be updated to state that domains MUST NOT publish
multiple version 1 (priority==1) CSA SRV records for the same HELO
string. Receiving SMTP servers MAY return a permanent error in response
to the HELO/EHLO if more than one is found.

   (Note that not all implementations will actually test for CSA SRV
records at HELO time. IMHO, there's no need for much consistency in
returning an error, so long as _some_ receiving SMTP servers do so.)

   When (if) a version 2 is defined, there will be a need for transition,
and this restriction will need to be revisited.

Sounds good to me.

-Doug