[clear] pyCSV

2005-08-19 14:48:49
David MacQuigg <dmquigg-clear(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com> wrote:

Seems to me if CSV is going to standardize a set of result keywords, you
would want as many as there are distinct results.  It is much easier to
combine two results into one action than parse an explanation string to
decide if a DNSError is a tempfail or some other error.  I would split
'neutral' into 'none' and 'neutral', and split 'tempfail' into 'tempfail'
and 'error'.

   I quite agree. "None" is a better description of the absence of records;
"Neutral" might lead to trying some service that advises for rare cases.
Similarly, the distinction between temporary errors which lead to retry
vs. permanent errors which are immediately reported to the user is well
established in eMail.

Note: Other possible actions are 'CONTINUE' and 'DISCARD'.  CONTINUE is
used when the result is inconclusive, and there are other methods to be
tried that are not yet integrated into this script.  DISCARD is used for
known spammers.  It means REJECT with no SMTP_reply - not the way I would
do it, but some admins want it, and Sendmail offers it.

   "CONTINUE" is generally appropriate for "none" and "neutral". I don't
think CSV offers enough basis for distinguishing "ERROR" from "DISCARD",
though an individual reputation service (under DNA) might choose to.

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>