Re: [clear] pyCSV now csv.py

2005-08-23 08:57:27
At 11:37 AM 8/23/2005 +0100, David Wilson wrote:
Richard Kay wrote:

The name csv.py conflicts with the Comma Separated File module present in Python 2.3 and upwards. This means that a program can't use both modules unless it artificially places your csv.py in a package directory so that it doesn't exist on the 'primary' module path:

        import csv

When csv.py is in the current working directory, or the package directory for the currently executing module, it will always shadow the stdlib's csv.py.

The only way I can see around this is renaming, or creating a dummy package (and dummy __init__.py), and placing csv.py within that. eg:

        import dummy.csv as csv

Might I suggest you create a package called "CLEAR" or "clear", and distribute csv.py as part of that? It would then natural for a BATV implementation to live inside that as batv.py. eg:

        from clear import csv, batv
        from clear.csv import *

etc.

Excellent suggestion.  I will put together packages for Linux and for Windows.

--
Dave