Re: [ietf-dkim] on the scope and necessity of threat analysis

2005-08-13 12:12:11
"Conforms to my sending policy" is powerful language, but
also very abstract. It could easily imply many things that you
probably do not mean.

I suspect you do not mean anything that broad or random.

Absolute right Dave, sorry.

So, please try to list the (kinds of) "policies" you have in
mind.  If we work with a list of more specific policies, it
will be vastly easier to evaluate DKIM's ability to satisfy
your requirements.

I'll try. Abstractly, I seek a mechanism which will allow message verifying agents to determine whether the existance or absense of a particular message property should or should not be expected. In the context of DKIM, that message property is a valid signature header. In the context of SPF, it is a proper delivery path, etc. The "holy grail" would be a single policy mechanism specified somewhere once which is general-purpose (way out of scope). It's hard to get more specific without diving into the details of DKIM itself. With DKIM being a signature based solution, I seek a mechanism that allows message verifying agents to understand whether the existance or absense of a signature in a message should be expected. So, the kinds of policies I believe to be critical here are (a) whether the verifying agent should expect to find a valid signature (b) whether the verifying agent should not expect to find a valid signature.

 (Email admin speaking here):  I'd like to know whether a message
I allow  into my network is authorized by the domain owner in the
FROM header and I'd like to know whether the message contains
the same content that the signing domain  intended.

Why do you say RFC2822.From header field, specifically?  Why
do you care what, specific field contains the identity?

Very, very good question. This is all tied up in the ambiguity associated with trying to determine "who sent me this message". If one must determine the signing policy of the "sending domain" one must make the decision - who is the "sending domain"? To determine that, an examination of the relevant sub-set of message headers is the only route to take. Among those headers, there is one which carries a virtue that none of the others possess - the RFC2822.From - alone amongst all other identity headers, is prominantly displayed to naive users. Regardless of the truth of the matter, end-users today have been trained by their MUA's to view the RFC2822.From as the definitive "sending" entity. So, I pick the RFC2822.From because (for right or wrong) it has this extra property which the other identity headers do not possess. Therefore, all else being equal, it seems the logical decision.

Is there any value in only dealing with (validating) signed
messages?

Yes, there is a non-ZERO value here because the signing identity can be used as a policy input.

I ask because it seems likely that it would be good
not to *require* checking unsigned messages.

This would be a very serious mistake in my view. By removing the requirement to check unsigned messages, DKIM isn't DKIM anymore. It would be like SPF without the "SP" - it would just be "F". There would be no longer any pretense of DKIM as an alternative to Sender-ID/SPF and it would insure the continued development and deployment of what it is designed ultimately to replace - DK and IIM.

So, is there benefit in being able to do "nothing more"
than validating some identity associated with the message?

DKIM without an SSP component would no longer be the cross-product of it's parent specifications. So, although there is a non-ZERO value in a system which merely validates signatures - this value should not be construed as justification enough to cripple the SSP part of DKIM. It's like saying, yes, 50 cent pieces have value - so lets toss away the other half of that dollar.

--
Arvel