Re: [ietf-dkim] Review of draft-fenton-dkim-threats-01

2005-10-29 17:52:40
However, if the argument is going to be such that a reputation
system is required, then, considering that that's probably the hard
bit, I would tend to think that such a plan would be useful, no?

I think I'm going to generically call this the World Hunger problem.
Is World Hunger an important problem to solve?  Of course.  Does that
mean we should define a standard solution for it?  Heck no, because we
don't have anything close to a consensus about what the right solution
is.

Standards processes work great when there's a working prototype and
the task is to clean it up, document it, and fix problems around the
edges.  They don't work at all to invent something from scratch, and
very poorly to reconcile competing prototypes that are very different.
(MARID couldn't even deal with the tiny differences between SPF and
Sender ID).  The only sort of reputation system that's anywhere near
mature enough to consider standardizing would be DNSBLs, and they
obviously aren't what we want.  So forget it.

At some point the reputation fog will start to clear and it'll become
evident what's worth standardizing.  But we're nowhere near that point
yet.

R's,
John