Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: WG Review: Domain Keys Identified Mail (dkim)

2005-12-21 15:19:59

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Arvel Hathcock wrote:

There is no wide deployment of DKIM. What is there are several test machines on the order of couple dozen.

Either the person who made that statement is visiting all our customer sites and uninstalling / reconfiguring our software or this is evidence of the ignorance of the speaker on the topic. I am personally responsible for many more than "on the order of [a] couple dozen" installations of DKIM capable software. How anyone could possibly divine that there are "on the order of [a] couple dozen" installations

It is hard to distinguish dkim sites from dk based on dns records,
so exact number of sites is hard to determine, however some scripts
were run to see what the sites that are known to have _domainkey
records are sending and all but 4 of those sites I could notice had DK signature and not DKIM. Either those DKIM sites are not
sending any serious amount of email on the net or they are not
in production operations. So, I'll stand by the figure that number
of sites sending DKIM email is < 100 (as of Nov 20th) and if
somebody wants to provide exact list that disproves that - go
ahead and send it to dkim list.

and then present to IETF for a stamp of approval.

"go around IETF?" What is that supposed to mean?

It means that instead of starting MASS a year ago as planned and doing
proper design work there as most IETF WGs do, the group did the work
in private between several vendors and then present to IETF with limitations apparently put in the charter to make it less likely
there could be any changes.

"Stamp of approval" eh? Ridiculous. Some of the work hasn't even started. Much that does exists is highly in need of a rewrite.

I'm sorry but comparing it to work I've seen done at other WGs, it
does seem like "stamp of approval" is being thought for majority of
work with some additional (mostly non-core) items still open for WGs
plus polishing the draft text.

BTW - the only significant issue that I still see that it seems WG is
expected to work on are policy records and there is not even clear
consensus there if this should be worked on.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks