Re: [ietf-dkim] Attempted summary, SSP again

2006-01-27 14:14:26
Hector,

Perhaps part of the disconnect here is the question of whether the
policy applies to the validity of the message or to the validity of
individual signatures.

John's original question is premised on the idea that there may be
multiple signatures on a message.  Let's take it as a given for now that
there may be.

The ! (EXCLUSIVE) policy says "Third-party signatures SHOULD NOT be
accepted".  So if a message with an OA signature and a third party is
verified, and the SSP is EXCLUSIVE, then the third-party signature
SHOULD be ignored, leaving the OA signature.  The message isn't
considered Suspicious if the message has a valid OA signature.  In other
words, it doesn't say "messages with third-party signatures SHOULD NOT
be accepted", it says that the third-party signature itself SHOULD NOT be.

I agree with many that it doesn't make a lot of sense to put a
third-party signature on a message that has an EXCLUSIVE SSP.  But I
don't see why it should harm the message to do so, so long as applying
the new signature doesn't break one that's already there.  The verifier
has to check SSP regardless (unless it verifies that there is a valid OA
signature first); it should be up to the re-signer to decide whether to
also check SSP or not.

-Jim

P.S.: I'll echo Stephen's request for more comments on the threat
analysis document.  I KNOW it isn't perfect!