Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: Base: Upgrade indication and protection against downgrade attacks

2006-02-16 10:44:37
On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:14:52AM -0800, Michael Thomas allegedly wrote:

If you can't rank algorithms, is there any meaningful concept of a
"downgrade attack"?

Furthermore, if you can't rank one as better, why would we consider
adding it to the repertoire in the first place?

I'm sort of wondering though if Mark's problem here might be just as
easily solved by having a "current"/"next" kind of routine. That is,

Right. That simplifies/eliminates the skipping issue.

e2e), is there any real likelihood that a reasonable receiver will
be two versions behind?

That's the question.

Mark.
http://dkim.org/ietf-list-rules.html