Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: Base: Upgrade indication and protection against downgrade attacks

2006-02-16 11:38:14

On Feb 16, 2006, at 9:36 AM, Mark Delany wrote:

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:20:57AM -0800, Dave Crocker allegedly wrote:

I keep coming back to the very limited goal of DKIM and wondering whether the concern about a downgrade attack isn't just a little too esoteric for that goal.

It happens that it also solves the agility requirement too. So even if you're skeptical of downgrade attacks being relevant, we are hoping - I presume - that DKIM will live for longer than the current set of anointed algorithms and that we do need a way to transition that doesn't require a forklift.

Preventing hash related exploits with the 'a=' parameter within the signature header remains doubtful. The hash parameter should be indicated within the key information. If I followed this correctly, you suggested the hash information could be moved to the currently undefined selector, which makes upward definitions difficult. As the key must be located at the selector, there would be little advantage in using such an approach except to retain the limited (flawed) key definition even though DNS entries must change. Introducing a new hash algorithm also means introducing new client software. Perhaps modifying key content can also be resolved when transitioning to the use of the CERT RR. This CERT RR would allow key information to be stored in a binary form, include references to other types of key services, and properly defined the complete algorithms as needed for a secure design. : )

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc2538bis-09.txt

This CERT RR has the algorithms defined within a fields specified within a key parameter, the safe method for defining the hash used.

-Doug

NOTE WELL: This list operates according to http://dkim.org/ietf-list-rules.html