Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: Base: Upgrade indication and protection against downgrade attacks

2006-02-16 09:27:49
Folks,

If you can't rank algorithms, is there any meaningful concept of a
"downgrade attack"?

I'm sort of wondering though if Mark's problem here might be just as
easily solved by having a "current"/"next" kind of routine. That is,
only allow two in play at any one time, ...

I keep coming back to the very limited goal of DKIM and wondering whether the concern about a downgrade attack isn't just a little too esoteric for that goal.

Besides that presumably, having multiple signature versions, as discussed here, is only for transition times.

Do we really need to engineer such fine-grained mechanisms for protection against attacks during limited windows of mis-opportunity, for a mechanism that is only trying to aid in determining whether to deliver a message?

d/

--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking