Re: [ietf-dkim] agenda item on upgrading hash algorithms?

2006-02-22 12:59:52
Jon,

Is there any issue in regards to the idea of having a signer/validator
capability logic?

We can have a base defaults (SHA1, SHA-256) or whatever you experts deem
necessary.  But in an advanced implementation, the validator can define its
cryptographic validation strengths which a signer can look up and use. This
will give the signer HIGHER CONFIDENCE that a reception will not fail due to
hashing mismatches.

Example:

santronics.com exposes it supports the algorithms:

    k=sha1, sha256, sha512, whirlpool, other;

If bankofamerica.com had a relationship with one of our users, it can lookup
the santronics.com capability and choose the highest strength.

It will work very nicely for a direct (1 to 1) transaction (which I happen
to believe most high-value transactions will take place with DKIM).

But its not limited to just 1 to 1.  It can also work for a 1 to many
transactions. The signer simply looks up all the targets and get the least
common denominator (and may also exclude those that might be problematic).

This can also be cached too possibly, so it only need to be done once.

I see this as realistic for a high-value domain transaction.