Re: [ietf-dkim] agenda item on upgrading hash algorithms?

2006-02-22 13:46:47

----- Original Message -----
From: "william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net>
To: "Hector Santos" <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com>

What you're advocating here is recipient email policy record,
correct?

yeah, that would be part of it.

I've talked about a TMS or "Transaction Management Service" in the past
where a domain would expose more information about its hosting services and
capabilities prior to connecting to it. Not just MX information. I gave
Scott Kitterman a private preview of my unpublished proposal.

It will not only help resolve this hashing match question but can also help
address other "SSP" related and middle ware "mix bag" questions.

We needed it for SPF, SENDER-ID, so we shouldn't be surprise we need it for
DKIM as well.

I'm not proposing an extensive TMS.  But for DKIM, the same idea can apply.

PS: We had the same issues with older mail/file exchange networks where two
systems needed to established it data transfer capabilities, including
protocols and compression/hashing algorithms to be used.  You knew
everything about the server when looking it up in "DNS".