Re: [ietf-dkim] Splitting the DKIM base doc

2006-03-27 08:04:19
> I'm really having a hard time understanding why we're so intent on
> snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Mike's comment above got me thinking on this. Aren't we very close as a WG to resolving all known issues with -base now without this split? If so, why introduce such a change if there's no large faction amongst us calling for it?

As an implementor, I agree with Mike that when and where possible, the fewer documents, the better. I'm also a little worried that the DKIM specification might become a library of cross-referencing documents all of which depend upon the others which begs the question of why they aren't/weren't in the same specification to begin with.

My own view is that if DNS is a mandatory mechanism, if 'simple' and 'relaxed' are manditory mechanisms, they ought to be included in the -base spec so that an implementor has everything necessary in a single source. Other mechanisms currently optional or to be determined in the future should be specified elsewhere.

Naturally, I will go with the flow on this topic but I just wanted to get my own view out in the open.

--
Arvel