Re: [ietf-dkim] Splitting the DKIM base doc

2006-03-27 15:53:06
Paul,

The WG should *not* want to speed up getting the normative base spec out by deferring controversial topics to the non-normative overview.

Who suggested this course of action?

As I said at the mic last week, I think we should have a single document that contains the protocol and the discussion around it. That document does *not* have to contain deployment ideas (such as Appendix B) or suggestions for signer and verifier policies, but should be good enough for a developer and an early deployer to create an interoperable implementation by reading the document.

Paul, could you cite some examples of such fully-integrated IETF specifications for systems that have gained widespread adoption and use?

Please indicate how long it took to gain standardization and deployment, and what the effort was to produce later revisions.

d/
--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking