Re: [ietf-dkim] mailing lists and -base

2006-03-28 11:29:09

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Thomas" <mike(_at_)mtcc(_dot_)com>
To: "Jim Fenton" <fenton(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
Cc: "Paul Hoffman" <phoffman(_at_)proper(_dot_)com>; "IETF-DKIM"
<ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] mailing lists and -base

Thanks for clarifying.  So really this helps a subset of mailing lists
that customizes the headers but not the bodies.

Here's my question: how can we actually determine whether we _should_
be helping (ie, providing an optimization), and more importantly whether
they will appreciate the "help". I don't seem to recall any consituency
clamouring for this before.

A true protocol doesn't make the distinction.  This isn't about helping one
big name company other some other group of folks.  This is about making it
work for everyone, and as one the few people here with a total framework
mail system in the market place, I think I have the credentials to provide
my engineering input. I can assure you its not done with greedy ambitions or
self-serving attitudes.  I certainly hope that is not what you are asking
about.

Beside this was discussed last year in the list, Mike, in several versions
of threads. I don't recall anyone making or spelling out a specific proposal
detailing a method, but rather the concept was brought up multiple times to
address or sorts of system engineering issues regarding DKIM.

So all the problems were known. 1193 was the first concrete proposal to help
resolve many of them.

Let me do a quick search for the threads:

http://mipassoc.org/pipermail/ietf-dkim/2005q3/000285.html
http://mipassoc.org/pipermail/ietf-dkim/2005q4/000827.html

and there are other threads.

"Do the Search"  This is not the first time it has been discussed.  1193 is
just the first concrete proposal and quite frankly, when I first saw it
presented as a BOF new issue, I was tinkled pink about it. My initial
reaction was this "WG" works and that people do read peoples input and
discussions, providing the synergism for a courageous person to make the
proposal official.   So it wasn't just made up, Mike.