Re: [ietf-dkim] Alternative text for semantics of multiple signatures

2006-04-04 15:21:08
Stephen Farrell wrote:
Paul Hoffman wrote:

At 1:09 PM -0700 4/4/06, Michael Thomas wrote:
    When evaluating a message with multiple signatures, a receiver
    SHOULD evaluate signatures independently and on their own merits.

Is that really a SHOULD? How could it be tested? Perhaps "should"
is ok in this case.

I think you're right.

    For example, a receiver that by policy chooses not to accept
    signatures with deprecated crypto algorithms should consider such
    signatures invalid. As with messages with a single signature,
    receievers are at liberty to use the presence of valid signatures
    as an input to local policy; likewise, the interpretation of
    multiple valid signatures in combination is a local policy
    decision of the receiver.

That looks pretty good.
    Signers MUST NOT remove any DKIM-Signature headers from messages
    they are signing, even if they know that the headers cannot be
    verified.

Is MUST NOT ok there, as opposed to SHOULD NOT? I seem to recall someone
wanting to be able to remove signatures to hide internal structure. Not
sure if that was on the list or not, and it does seem a little bit of a
corner case (one could in any case wriggle out of the problem by saying
it wasn't the signer that removed the sig, but it was some other bit of
code:-) No real opinion myself, just asking.

I copied this from Paul's original. I'm good either way, though
SHOULD seems more appropriate now.

                Mike