Re: [ietf-dkim] Alternative text for semantics of multiple signatures

2006-04-05 10:33:38

On Apr 5, 2006, at 9:36 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
Arvel Hathcock wrote:
> The MUST NOT was there in the earlier proposal because the association > between p= and the headers was by hash values. This proposal removes > that, and MUST NOT is not needed. If we use "SHOULD NOT", we need to
 > say when it is OK to do it anyway. Proposal: "To avoid deleting
> information that might be valuable to the recipient, signers SHOULD
 > NOT remove..."

Yes. With that change and the previous "SHOULD" becoming "should" as discussed by Stephen and Mike I think this text is very good.

the case of a should does not change its semantics.

if the text specifies behavior, it is being normative.

Perhaps there should also be some advice give with respect to the maximum number of signatures verified then. There should be metric that can be applied with respect to the potential for targeted network amplification.

-Doug