Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposal: get rid of x=

2006-04-11 07:15:34
Uh, what situations are those?  If DKIM isn't useful for mail sent to
humans with MUAs, why are we wasting our time?

A nice strawman.

No, it's an honest question.  Many real users read their mail a whole lot
less often than we weenies do.  I know people who read their mail once a
week.

If your issue is that the time was a week, change the x= time to 15
minutes, the mail still lands in the recipient's mailbox in 10 seconds,
and the user reads mail once an hour.  Same problem.

Then you're not giving x= a value that is in line with the spec either.
DKIM is intended to work over the normal transport lifetime of a mail
message.

Now we're back to the original question.  How do you as a sender know what
is normal in my inbound mail system?  You don't.

Conversely, if senders are always supposed to set x= to t+1209600, what is
the point of x= ?  It contains no useful information.  Even worse, since
there is no reason to assume that a sender will set an x= that is
appropriate for a receiver's situation, it is likely to contain
disinformation that a sensible receiver should ignore.

R's,
John