Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposal: get rid of x=

2006-04-11 12:52:19

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Mark Delany wrote:

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 06:26:43AM -0700, william(at)elan.net allegedly wrote:

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Mark Delany wrote:

So, color me slow. We know for sure that signing happened in the
past. What specific value do we place on how far in the past that
signing occurred? What code do I write to test that specific value and
what do you recommend that a verifier do with such knowledge?

You don't need to make an extra dns (or preferaly non-dns) query
if you know signature is no longer valid based on x.

So the purpose of x= is to optimize corner-case DNS queries?

That is just one of the cases where they can be of use, you after all asked for "specific value".

It would also be good to have when you want to do more refined security setup between two hosts.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks