Re: [ietf-dkim] Meaning of x= and DKIM signatures in general

2006-04-12 22:47:47
On Apr 12, 2006, at 10:24 PM, John L wrote:

My understanding of a DKIM signature is that it's the same idea as the clip at the end of a political ad where the candidate says "I'm Joe Blow and I approved this message". The signature doesn't mean that the signer wrote the message or originated it, it just means that the signer approved it, and you can blame the signer if you don't like it.

Yes. Yes! Just like when I sign a cheque dated April 1, 2006, my signature is good for that specific cheque written on that date. You cannot apply that signature to any other cheque I might have written, on April 1 or on any other date.

And you can't guarantee that I might be alive at any future date to stand up in court and verify the signature. The validity of the signature is from when I wrote the cheque until the recipient cashed it at the bank. After that, it's too late ...

--lyndon