Re: [ietf-dkim] Meaning of x= and DKIM signatures in general

2006-04-13 10:02:50
Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
Yes. Yes! Just like when I sign a cheque dated April 1, 2006, my signature is good for that specific cheque written on that date. You cannot apply that signature to any other cheque I might have written, on April 1 or on any other date.

And you can't guarantee that I might be alive at any future date to stand up in court and verify the signature. The validity of the signature is from when I wrote the cheque until the recipient cashed it at the bank. After that, it's too late ...

What a fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on your point of view)
analogy. Checks often explicitly have expiration dates on them. I
view the x= somewhat similarly -- after that date, please don't bother
me; done is done. This isn't rocket science.

                Mike