Re: [ietf-dkim] x= lets senders expire responsibility

2006-04-13 10:10:01

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Delany" <MarkD+dkim(_at_)yahoo-inc(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] x= lets senders expire responsibility

Signatures with selectors resulting in NXDOMAIN DNS queries
SHOULD NOT be considered valid?

I have to check the spec, but I thought that you set p= to the empty
string and leave the Selector in place if you wish to revoke the key.

Just for readership:

|   p=   Public-key data (base64; REQUIRED).  An empty value means that
|       this public key has been revoked.  The syntax and semantics of
|       this tag value before being encoded in base64 is defined by the
|       k= tag.

Ahhh,  I missed this point - keeping the selector but setting the data to
empty.

ok,  sounds like this will work then to signal an expiration.  Not as
efficient (need a lookup), but in such a case,  as long as the selector is
still active and p= data is empty, x= is not required.  You got your
indicator.

I think I might change my vote to "Get Rid of X="   :-)

I still like the idea of expiring a signing on a per message basis.  Pretty
powerful option for signers.   x= will provide this.