[ietf-dkim] dkim-base-01 nits and semi-nits

2006-04-28 16:49:45
Here are some things that I noticed on a pass through dkim-base-01.
Some of these are clearly nits and for others it's less clear, but I
have tried to steer clear of things that I know will be controversial.
Feel free to comment on any of these if appropriate.  Apologies to any
whose comments I may have duplicated.

Section 1.1 paragraph 1 is now different from the overview in -threats.
We were trying to keep the top-level description consistent  between the
drafts; was this a conscious change?

Section 1.1 bullet 1 suggest "written to the message header fields" ->
"written as a message header field"

Section 1.1 bullet 7 and bullet 9 seem redundant

Section 1.3 seems like it should say something about DKIM's scalability
characteristics, not just that of email, since the other 1.x sections
are describing DKIM in various ways.

Section 3.1 The INFORMATIVE IMPLEMENTERS' NOTE seems like it would fit
better later in the document such as section 3.6.

Section 3.4 paragraph 5 "Only header fields listed as signed in the
signature header field are included"  should say something about the
inclusion of the signature header-field itself, since it's not listed.

Section 3.4.2 last paragraph "the previous version" -> "a previous version"

Section 3.4.5 second to last paragraph "choose to reject" -> "choose to
ignore signatures"  [this one isn't a nit]

Section 3.6 i= tag INFORMATIVE DISCUSSION:  Does XREF-TBD refer to the
overview document?  Would this create a publication dependency on that
document?

Section 3.7 paragraph 3 "using the header canonicalization" -> "using
the body canonicalization".  "XXX=" -> "bh="

Section 4 paragraph 3 "DKIM-Signature headers" -> "DKIM-Signature header
fields", "if they know that the headers cannot be verified" -> "if they
know that the signatures cannot be verified"

Section 9.2 Date on dkim-threats-02 is April 2006.  Citation on RFC3766
is a little terse (!)

Section A.3 "_dkim" -> "_domainkey" (as others have pointed out)