RE: [ietf-dkim] Comments on -overview document?

2006-07-10 13:23:14
(forgot to hit reply to all)
Eliot,
I think we should treat the issue by stating that in the mixed
environments currently being tested a 10 to 15% cpu usage has been
noted. This will allow the SA types to adequately engineer a DKIM
solution based on their layout. When you think of all the edge
processing, filters, heuristics, etc, that is almost all cpu. The only
IO problems I have is trying to find an ever increasing mound of
storage.
Thanks,

Bill Oxley
Messaging Engineer
Cox Communications, Inc.
Alpharetta GA
404-847-6397
bill(_dot_)oxley(_at_)cox(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Crocker [mailto:dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net]
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 4:11 PM
To: Eliot Lear
Cc: Oxley, Bill (CCI-Atlanta); ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Comments on -overview document?

Eliot Lear wrote:
Bill,

I think what Dave could say is that in I/O intensive environments DKIM
will have a negligible impact because minimal disk I/O is required.
If

The counter-point, to claims that email is i/o bound, is that modern
requirements for filtering alter the equation quite a bit.

That's why I was intrigued to hear the comments about being i/o bound
come from
folk doing empirical -- real-world -- testing of DKIM.

That said, these days it is nearly always true that one can set up a
server hub
to use most of the cpu, no matter how much i/o they have.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking