Re: [ietf-dkim] Comments on -overview document?

2006-07-10 13:54:02

On Jul 10, 2006, at 1:26 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:

Eliot Lear wrote:

Bill,

I think what Dave could say is that in I/O intensive environments DKIM will have a negligible impact because minimal disk I/O is required. If
your environment is not I/O bound then of course DKIM will have a
marginal impact. If you're using your CPUs efficiently already, good on
you!

The point that Bill brings up, however, is a good one and I suspect that he's entirely right if one considers the _inbound_ which is very likely to be very CPU bound with anti-spam/virus/malware/etc. Still in that case, it's not clear that the DKIM overhead is likely to be very significant as the main cost for
smallish messages may not even be bound to the RSA and/or SHA overhead
(seeing how RSA verifies are so much cheaper than signing).

Arguably, DKIM allows easy whitelisting of high-volume senders, allowing
the recipient to skip content-based spam filtering for that mail. That's
likely to be a significant fraction of inbound mail, so may reduce the CPU
overhead overall.

In any case, I think he's right that in order to give advise we'd do well to
actually state the test cases for which somebody could do their own
experimenting.

Definitely.

Cheers,
  Steve