Re: [ietf-dkim] bare CR and 822/2822 or just 2822

2006-07-21 08:23:32
I've been perusing the spec, and was reminded that we still have the
simple body canon.  All it does is strip off trailing CR LF pairs, and
hash what's left.  Bare CRs?  Eight bit glop?  No problem.

If we do an implementor's guide, I'd have it say that if your goal is
simply to shoot a message in whatever form from one MTA to another,
use simple canon and it'll work.  On the other hand, if your goal is
to make your messages and signatures maximally tolerant of unknown relays
down the line, be sure it's perfectly 2822 conformant and use a relaxed
signature.

Those are both reasonable scenarios, we deal with both of them, so I don't
see any problems left to be solved.

R's,
John

PS: Sec 3.4.3 says to add a trailing CR LF if none is present, although
a message transmitted by SMTP has to have one.  But I don't think that's
worth fixing.